Substitute Teaching in Meriden FAQs
- How do I become a substitute teacher in Meriden?
Starting in the fall of 2011, Meriden will be hiring and scheduling their own substitute teachers. Please fill out an application on our website at: www.meriden.k12.ct.us/Employment. You will be contacted shortly to fill out remaining paperwork.
- What are the qualifications to be a substitute teacher?
In any Connecticut school district you must hold a Bachelor's Degree to be a substitute teacher. You will be required to submit copies of transcripts showing you obtained a Bachelor's degree. If you are going to be in an assignment for 40 or more consecutive days, you must be certified to teach in that particular assignment.
- What paperwork will I be required to fill out to be a substitute teacher in Meriden?
You will need to be fingerprinted by the Connecticut Department of Public Safety and will need to fill out the standard forms that all employees fill out. Forms for tax withholding, direct deposit, and Form I-9 are just two examples.
- Who will pay me and how much?
Meriden Public Schools will be your employer and will be paying you. Substitute teachers in Meriden will be paid $75 a day for their service. If you serve in a position for 40 or more consecutive days and are certified for that assignment, you will be paid a higher rate.
- How does a substitute teacher in Meriden select which schools, subjects, and days he/she is willing to substitute teach?
After you have filled out an application and filled out employment forms, you will be emailed a message from our automated sub caller system with a login name and PIN. It is a system called Aesop which many districts use, as well as Kelly Services. On this web site, you can enter preferred schools and subjects, as well as your schedule availability.
- How will Meriden notify substitute teachers about available assignments?
Our automated substitute teacher system, Aesop, will call your phone number and you can accept assignments right over the phone. Additionally, you can view assignments online or call the Aesop phone number to browse available assignments in Meriden.
- Who do I call if I have questions about any aspect of substitute teaching in Meriden?
Call the Meriden Public Schools Personnel Office at 203-630-4209.